The Rutherfordium Zone was a general science zone for primary schools, supported by the Science & Technology Facilities Council. In the zone were six scientists:
- Russell Arnott, the zone winner, who researches how the shape of plankton helps them survive in different environments.
- Kathryn Boast, a Quantum Materials Outreach Officer who finds easy and fun ways to present research on different quantum materials to the public, much of which is done at Diamond Light Source and the ISIS Neutron and Muon source.
- Jose Martinez-Gonzalez, scientist at the ISIS Neutron and Muon source who studies how water ‘dances’ on different surfaces.
- Gabriel Gallardo, who works with the Large Hadron Collider to figure out what the universe is made of.
- Affelia Wibisono, an STFC-funded PhD student investigating Jupiter’s x-ray northern and southern lights.
- Adelie Gorce, an STFC-funded PhD student who uses massive telescopes to look for the birth of the universe and the very first stars.