We’re looking for online moderators to work with us on our November 2021 activities.
I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here and I’m an Engineer, Get me out of here are online STEM enrichment activities for school students in the UK and Ireland, where students of all abilities aged 8-18 can ask scientists their questions in text-based live chats, and get to know what real scientists are like.
Our events will run from 1 November 2021 onward.
First rule of moderator club… This is a paid job, working from home.
You need to be free 8:30am to 3pm every weekday.
- Dates: 29 October to 26 November (Mon – Fri), with the possibility of extending beyond these dates
- You’ll need to be available for zoom training on Friday 29 October from 9am
- Hours: 20+ hours per week, 08:30 to 15:00 GMT (flexibility and one evening per week will also be required)
– If not DBS checked: £10/hr, inclusive of holiday pay (and we will pay for your DBS check)
– If DBS checked and on the update service: £10.50/hr, inclusive of holiday pay
- Application deadline: 12pm on 13 October 2021
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Checking and approving questions
- Adding appropriate keywords
- Logging and keeping track of questions, comments and dialogue
- Checking the site for inappropriate content
- Moderating live chats
- Helping to run the site
- Enjoying yourself – the students (and experts) are quick, funny, and full of energy! And hey, promoting STEM engagement is the cherry on top.
What we’d like from you…
- Great attention to detail
- You’re bright, thoughtful, and pick stuff up easily
- You have an interest in STEM engagement
- You enjoy being online and maybe already have experience in an online community
- You know what WordPress is and – better yet – you might know how to use it
- You’re ready to work from home with a reliable broadband connection (which doesn’t die every 10 minutes)
- You’re flexible around the hours specified in case we need you to help with our evening live chats
- You are DBS checked and registered with the update service — see details on the GOV.UK website – or you’re happy for us to request a DBS check for you should your application be successful
And for the icing on the cake…
- A sense of humour
- The ability to multi-task
- Openness in discussing your lunch/pets/any dreams you’ve had recently
Please send a CV and short cover letter ASAP (by 12pm on 13 October 2021), to Marcia at firstname.lastname@example.org, telling us why you think you’d be a good moderator.