Read the report: Meitnerium Zone Report – November 2019 [PDF]The Meitnerium Zone was a themed zone supported by Wellcome. It featured six scientists:
- Sarah Knight works at the University of York, exploring why we get distracted by background noise when we’re trying to listen to another person speaking.
- Isaac Halstead is a PhD student looking at the psychological factors of gene editing attitudes – what makes a person support or oppose its use.
- Hira Virdee is a space laser scientist, using lasers to increase the power of satellite solar panels.
- Elena Maters, the winner of this zone, is studying how volcanoes affect our environment and why ash particles from different volcanoes influence chemistry and clouds.
- Anisha Wijeyesekera is studying how diet can impact the bacteria in our gut, and how this can positively or negatively influence our health.
- Alex Leide looks at how ceramics break at the nanoscale, to help design stronger materials.