Read the report: Sustainability Zone Report – November 2019 [PDF]The Sustainability Zone was a themed zone supported by Wellcome. It featured six scientists:
- Stuart Goldie is a Postgraduate Research Assistant, discovering new materials for renewable energy.
- Scott Dwyer is finding new ways to control a parasitic mite that can kill honey bees.
- Lisa Kelly manages BASF’s distribution business, trying to supply products like cosmetics, food and pharmaceuticals in a sustainable way.
- Jack Saunders is a polymer scientist making new plastics for paints, to help keep things in better conditions for longer.
- Caragh Whitehead is a research technician looking at how plants can lead to improvements in all areas of our lives.
- Alex Batchelor, the winner of this zone, is a PhD student investigating how plant roots can get more phosphorous from the soil, to help them grow better and produce more food.