The Heart Zone was a primary school zone supported by Wellcome.
- Samuel, the winner of the zone, works on new technologies for assessing the state of the heart and its arteries
- Pankaj is a doctor and scientist, who also lectures in cardiovascular medicine
- Lucy looks at the heart and blood vessels of unborn babies to see how they are affected by changes in their environment
- Kate is studying for her PhD and is focusing on the shape of the heart in patients with aortic stenosis
- Jordan processes blood samples, separating them into groups and filtering them before they are ready for testing
- Emma programs pacemakers, monitors patients during operations and performs ultrasound scans on the heart in her work at a hospital
Students in this zone were very excited to talk with scientists which came across in the lively and fun chats. Students wanted to know about all things to do with the heart, as well as getting to know the scientists on a personal level.