The Plants Zone was a themed zone for primary schools zone supported by Wellcome. It featured six scientists:
- Shannah Gates is a PhD student growing root cultures to be used in medicinal compounds.
- Richard Gammons is researching how to use plants as chemicals to make fuels.
- Matthew Alkan is investigating whether driving cars is changing the smells of plants, affecting bees that use a plant’s scent to find and pollinate it.
- John Paterson is trying to understand how pollinators, like bees and hoverflies, know when the seasons are changing and why this is important for flowers and crops.
- Emma Markham works at the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council funding research which helps people and the planet.
- Anna Gardner, the winning scientist, is a researcher of trees, studying how climate change might change oak leaves in the future.