The Space Zone was a themed zone for primary schools supported by the Science & Technology Facilities Council and NCOP schools. It featured six scientists:
- Nicolas Bonne studies galaxies and finds ways to allow people with sight problems to learn about space.
- Laurence Datrier is researching ways to find out when neutron stars collide.
- Emma Davies studies massive explosions from the Sun that can hit Earth.
- Declan Jonckers organises the design and manufacture of Multi-Layer Insulations, a ‘space blanket’ which helps to keep a spacecraft’s temperature at the right level.
- Bella Boulderstone, the winner in the Space Zone, tries to find the size of structures around supermassive black holes using dust as a space radar.
- Ali Hussain develops instruments to generate light to interact with matter in space and show its properties.