The Blue Zone ran from the 2nd – 25th September. This Zone was the first of the I’m a Scientist, On Demand zones. These zones ran throughout the Autumn 2020 term in reaction to the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing schools to have flexibility in when and how they took part.
The Blue Zone was a general science zone.
- 30 scientists created profiles in the Zone. 21 of these scientists engaged with students in live chats and Ask.
- Scientists from a broad range of fields and career stages took part. For example, Fatma Salahioglu is a Forensic Scientist working in the pharmaceutical industry, Ashleigh Barron works as a Laser Technician in Glasgow, and Yueng Lenn is a Physics Oceanographer.
- 17 live chats took place took place during the activity. On average, 3 researchers attended each live chat session.
- 18 posted questions were approved and sent to the researchers who responded with 52 answers.
- 189 students from 9 schools all over the UK logged into the Zone.
- 24% of active students were from widening participation schools, and 42% from underserved schools