Read the report: Elements Zone Report – November 2019 [PDF]The Elements Zone was a themed zone supported by the Royal Society of Chemistry. It featured six scientists:
- William Wiseman is a technical manager in industry who mixes zirconium with metal oxides to create ceramic materials used in places such as aeroplanes and oil rigs.
- Thibaut Deviese is a chemist who uses the radioactivity of carbon isotopes to help archaeologists date objects.
- Harry Wilkinson is a PhD student recreating iron and sulphur compounds usually found in the body with the aim of replacing unsustainable industrial processes.
- Georgia Orton is a research scientist trying to make iron do the job of platinum in reactions using tiny cage structures called MOFs (metal organic frameworks).
- Emily Sparkes is a PhD student who studies how well enzymes make and break bonds between silicon and oxygen.
- Aimee Egglestone is an industry development chemist helping scientists to scale up their experimental reactions using carbon compounds to industrial levels.