Read the report: Particles Zone Report – March 2020 [PDF]The Particles Zone was a themed zone supported by STFC. It featured six scientists:
- Ondrej Kovanda is an STFC funded PhD student studying ways the standard model of particle physics fails.
- Jordan McElwee is an STFC funded PhD student studying how neutrinos interact with the atomic nucleus.
- Eleanor Jones is PhD student at CERN, using the world’s most powerful particle accelerator to look back in time and predict the future.
- Edward Banks, winner of the Particles Zone, is a Lab Technician at STFC Boulby Underground Laboratory, running experiments that need very quiet conditions.
- Christine Beavers is the Principal Beamline Scientist at the Diamond Light Source, using high energy x-rays to see the atomic structure of minerals, materials and molecules.
- Alice Morris is a PhD student at UCL, looking at data from the ATLAS detector at CERN.