The Wellbeing Zone had five psychologists and was supported by The British Psychological Society.
- Viren is a social psychologist studying body image, how we feel and think about our bodies, and how we can develop a more positive view
- Sam, the winner of the Wellbeing Zone, is a PhD student researching self-control and how this can cause people to drink more, or less, alcohol
- Noel lectures in sport and exercise psychology and is interested in how a person’s thoughts while exercising influences their performance
- Amy is a biomedical scientist who uses rats to investigate the relationship between happy moods and how often we eat
- Abby is a health psychologist looking to find the most effective ways to help people quit smoking
A sixth member of the zone unfortunately had to drop out early in the first week due to personal circumstances and will be included in a future zone.
This zone was quieter than other zones in June’s event, due to a higher number of sixth form classes than normal taking part, with small class sizes. We anticipate more sixth form classes will apply for future psychology zones, so will be over-filling these zones to compensate for the smaller student numbers.