The Childhood Zone was a themed zone supported by The British Psychological Society. It featured six psychologists:
- Tom Gallagher-Mitchell’s PhD focuses on how we learn numbers from a young age. He’s also a lecturer in psychology at Liverpool Hope University.
- Sarah Hodge specialises in Cyberpsychology and she is interested in how we make moral decisions in videogames.
- Owen Jones doing a PhD at Liverpool John Moores University looking at how children travel to school and what they like, and dislike, about how they travel.
- Nathan Hook works for Ofsted, using data to generate insight about the Further Education & Skills sector.
- Lorna Camus is a PhD student, looking at how secondary school affects autistic children’s mental health.
- Abbie Jordan, the winner of this zone, is a working with young people who experience ongoing pain.
Being a sixth-form zone, the questions were often linked to university and degree choices. Students asked about specific areas of psychology and sometimes asked for links to studies. Popular topics included ‘Nature vs Nurture’, sexuality and social media.