The Hassium Zone was a general zone supported by Wellcome and featured six scientists:
- Helen Faulkner tests drugs to be sure that they are safe for patients to take.
- Farah Elahi is completing a PhD looking at how virtual reality can improve young people’s mental health.
- Dave Underhill, the winner of this zone, is an archaeologist who runs projects aimed at increasing public understanding of mining and quarrying industries.
- Cheryl Williams analyses specimens from patients to help doctors with diagnosis.
- Bastian Saputra is researching how to modify bacteria to make them glow in the presence of soil pollution.
- Alun Owen is an Environmental Chemistry Technician who also teaches chemistry at university.