Read the report: Antimicrobial Zone Report – March 2020 [PDF]The Antimicrobial Zone was a themed zone supported by Wellcome and the Society for Applied Microbiology. It featured six scientists:
- Lucy Kelly is a PhD student finding new ways to kill bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.
- Greg Heikel, the winner of the Antimicrobial Zone, is a Trainee Clinical Scientist at the NHS, using blood test results to figure out what is making people feel ill.
- Emma Hayhurst works in hospitals to try and work out how to stop the spread of dangerous bacteria through feces.
- David Mark is a PhD student investigating new species of bacteria from soil.
- Anthony De Souza is a Healthcare Scientist at Great Ormond Street Hospital, finding out what is causing infections by testing bodily fluids
- Anna Stec is a Clinical Engineer at Lincoln County Hospital, finding ways pharmacists can help us fight microbials.