The Molecule Zone ran from 1 to 26 March 2021 and was funded by ScotCHEM and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC).
The Zone featured 33 scientists from a broad range of chemistry-related fields. 17 scientists were based at a ScotCHEM member university and 15 reported as being members of the RSC.
Download the Zone Report (pdf) ❯
33 scientists took part. They included:
- Zuzanna Konieczna, PhD student at the University of Edinburgh
- Jesko Koehnke, Reader at the University of Glasgow
- Alexandra Males, Postdoctoral Research Associate in Carbohydrate Enzymology at the University of York
The winner of the Zone was Martin McCoustra, Professor of Chemical Physics at Heriot-Watt University. Martin won £500 to deliver further engagement activities.
927 students from 26 schools across the UK logged into the Zone.
62% of active students were from target schools: 36% from widening participation schools and 34% from underserved schools.
57 live chats took place: 51 were school classes booked by teachers and 6 were additional chats, open to all the students.
On average, 5 scientists attended each chat.
Posted on April 27, 2021
modjamie in 2021
, Zone Reports
Read the report: Molecule Zone Report – March 2020 [PDF]
The Molecule Zone was a themed zone supported by ScotCHEM. It featured six scientists:
- Zahra Rattray, from University of Strathclyde, is researching about how to develop new chemotherapy medicines
- Peter Brown is a PhD student at University of St Andrews, working on building more efficient and durable solar panels to combat climate change
- Mairi Littleson is a Medicinal Chemist at University of Dundee, researching how to make new molecules that could be used as medicine
- Elliott Reedy is a PhD student at University of Edinburgh, studying various molecules that are thought to be present in gas clouds and dust between stars.
- Danica Pinto, the zone winner from Heriot-Watt University, uses spectroscopy to study molecules.
- Ane Valera, from University of Aberdeen, makes changes to bugs’ DNA to produce a material for car windscreens.
Posted on April 16, 2020
modem in 2020
, Zone Reports